Fighting off the flu
FLU FACT: Germs can live for hours, even weeks, only to be picked up again by the next person who touches the same object. No one wants to spend two weeks sick in bed this summer with a fever, cough, aches, chills, and headaches, along with diarrhea and vomiting. Flu prevention can be more important than actual treatment because once you’ve attracted the flu bug, you’ve got to let it run its course. Experts agree that hand washing is one of the best ways to prevent viral infections. Small droplets from coughs and sneezes tend to linger on household surfaces and are transferred directly from the fingers to the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you’re not using good old soap and water, try a sanitized hand cleaner, either alcohol-based or gel/foam. Also, consider using a natural cleanser to disinfect surfaces in the home. Building the body’s immune system is the best long-term strategy against any flu. Consider some common sense practices to keep your immune system at peak efficiency.
- Get enough sleep - a fatigued body is less likely to fight off infection
- Eat organic foods and eat the lowest amount of processed foods possible - even small amounts of sugar can impair your immune system, while a large amount can hurt your immune function for hour
- Exercise that body to keep it strong
- Keep well hydrated by drinking eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day
- Lower your stress levels - prolonged stress is at least partially responsible for 90 % of all illness and disease
For extra protection, consider supplements that bolster the immune system and that are designed specifically to combat an invasion of the flu. Freshfest Whole Foods ZEROFLU and Prairie Naturals FLU-FORCE™ are both formulated from natural ingredients to boost immunity and kill off viruses and bacteria. ZEROFLU is a mixture of fermented Korean Panax ginseng oil and Mediterranean oregano oil. In combination, it’s lethal against flu. FLU- FORCE™ is a unique blend of herbs, including the rich-in-phytochemicals olive leaf, vitamin C-packed elderberry, and popular immune stimulant echinacea, along with traditional Chinese antioxidant astragalus, plus antimicrobial goldenseal. Other remedies include elderberry, which has very strong antioxidant properties and can shorten the duration of a flu infection, zinc lozenges, garlic capsules, and, of course, vitamin C.